Fragrance products

Woman warns viewers of dangers of cleaning products in viral video

A woman has gone viral after revealing in a video that her daughter was rushed to hospital and intubated after inhaling bleach while cleaning the bathroom.

Jana Watson, or @nursejana, posted the video to TikTok where it has received over 2.2 million views and 1,600 comments since February 26 and sparked discussion about the dangers of common household cleaners.

“1st time cleaning the bathroom with bleach!” read the video caption.

In the video, Watson showed a photo of her daughter Avery being intubated in a hospital bed with popular TikTok audio playing in the background.

“Yeah, that’s me,” popular audio said as another photo showed an intubated Watson being loaded into an ambulance on a stretcher. “You’re probably wondering how I got into this situation.”

Watson then showed a photo of the cleaning spray her daughter was using when she accidentally inhaled the fumes. The bottle she showed was the Clorox Clean-Up Cleaner + Bleach Fresh Scent, which uses sodium hypochlorite as the chemical oxidizing agent rather than chlorine.

Inhaling high levels of chlorine and sodium hypochlorite can cause fluid buildup in the lungs, also called pulmonary edema.

According to the Centers for Disease Control, bleach inhalation symptoms can be felt within seconds of exposure. Common symptoms of bleach inhalation include wheezing, throat or airway irritation, and chest tightness.

In another video posted seven days ago, Watson showed footage of Avery having difficulty breathing and wheezing. She explained that Avery started coughing and was breathing with “stridor and laryngospasm,” or the involuntary contraction of muscle in the vocal cords.

In the video, Avery said it was easier to breathe through her mouth and she needed to be treated with nebulized racemic epinephrine, a drug for patients with moderate to severe respiratory distress.

After being given an oxygen mask, Watson said Avery was given an IV of epinephrine and became clammy, anxious, nauseous and “extremely uncomfortable”.

An x-ray showed Avery had swelling behind her vocal cords and she was successfully intubated. Footage from the TikTok showed Avery battling the ventilator while in his hospital bed. She was then transferred to a pediatric intensive care unit where she remained intubated for 16 hours.

“The most expensive maid of all time!” the on-screen text read over a photo of Avery smiling in his hospital gown.

Watson explained that Avery didn’t leave the doors or windows open in the bathroom, which led to poor ventilation and caused him to inhale the fumes.

“Be careful with cleaning products, keep the room ventilated and windows and doors open,” Watson suggested.

Thousands of users have commented on Watson’s viral TikToks, and many have warned other users about the dangers of using and mixing particular cleaning products.

“PSA, you cannot use bleach and windex at the same time! It produces toxic fumes which can be fatal,” one user warned.

“That’s why I ONLY use white and dawn vinegar, and mr clean (yellow) to sanitize. I’ve also stopped mixing products,” another user commented.

Other users, however, sought comic relief in the comments by cracking jokes about how you can avoid the dangers of cleaning products by not cleaning.

But some users thanked Watson for sharing her daughter’s story and mentioned that they had no idea inhaling bleach could be so harmful until they watched the TikTok.

Newsweek reached out to Jana Watson and Clorox but did not receive comment in time for publication.

A mother has gone viral after sharing that her daughter had to be intubated after accidentally inhaling bleach.
Jorge Guerrero/AFP via Getty Images