We all have a stash of store-bought cleaners that promise to make your home spotless and germ-free. But with a product clean every room in your home these days, it can all add up to your shopping bills.
The good news is that you can easily make your own cleaners using household items you’ll likely find in your kitchen cupboard. Simple ingredients like white vinegar, baking soda, and lemon juice contain natural whitening and antibacterial properties that make baking soda and vinegar particularly good for cleaning.
Plus, these homemade cleaners don’t contain toxic chemicals or harsh scents from name brand cleaners, so a DIY solution would be kinder to the environment. Even better, they are much cheaper to manufacture in the long run. So if you don’t want to break the shopping budget, here’s how to make your own household cleaners and save some money.
How to make your own all-purpose cleaner
1. First, pour ½ cup of white vinegar into an empty spray bottle using a small funnel. Next, add two tablespoons of baking soda.
2. Next, add about 10 drops of tea tree and eucalyptus essential oils. This will give your homemade cleaner a fresh scent and remove traces of the unpleasant vinegar smell. However, these are other means of how to clean with odorless vinegar, keep things fragrant.
3. Then fill the rest of the bottle with water, attaching the sprayer to the bottle and shaking the bottle well before use.
You can use this spray on kitchen counters, bathrooms, appliances, and surfaces to disinfect, remove stains, and freshen up your home. But, before cleaning up, these are 7 things you should never clean with white vinegar to avoid damaging them.
How to make your own floor cleaner
1. Take a bucket and add 2 to 3 liters of hot water, a capful of dish soap, 60 ml of white vinegar and a few drops of essential oils, such as tea tree or eucalyptus oil.
2. Then clean the floors with this solution. This will leave it sanitized and spotless.
For more tips, see how to clean hardwood floors without damaging them.
How to make your own window cleaner
1. First, take an empty spray bottle and pour in ½ cup of white vinegar, two cups of water, and a few drops of lemon juice or essential oils of your choice. These will eliminate the vinegar smell.
2. Then put the spray bottle back on the bottle and shake it well before use. It is an excellent natural method for clean the windows and leave them streak-free.
How to make your own oven cleaner
1. First, mix a solution of a few drops of dish soap, half a cup of baking soda, five drops of essential oil, and about 60ml of white vinegar with water. Stir well to make a thick paste.
2. Take an old pastry brush and spread the dough on the oven, focusing on areas where there is baked-on food or grease. For best results, leave on for a few hours or even overnight to allow the solution to work to remove dirt.
3. Then fill a second bowl with water and use a sponge or soft cloth to clean your oven. Repeat the process until you remove all the dirt, and you should have a sparkling clean oven. Knowledge how to clean an oven the right way can make all the difference!
How to make your own toilet bowl cleaner
1. First, take a spray bottle and pour in 1/3 cup of liquid castile soap, two cups of water, and two tablespoons of baking soda. You can also add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to freshen and disinfect the toilet.
2. Then shake it well before pouring the solution into the toilet bowl. Let sit for 3-4 minutes before scrubbing with the toilet brush. If you want more tips for a spotless toilet, check out how to clean a toilet and make it look like new and even how to unclog a clogged toilet.
If you want more money saving tips, check out 11 simple household tips to help you save money and fight inflation, tips to save on energy bills and 15 water saving tips, to reduce your consumption. Plus, we’ve found the cheapest time to do your laundry and here are 5 ways your smart home can save you money, too. Plus, what is an Energy Star rating and how can it save you money?